Monday 11 August 2014

Couch to 5k

Now for anyone who has been reading this blog, you know that I weigh round about 18st (or around 250lb for US readers).

AGES ago, I said I was starting the Couch to 5K but I never did anything other than download the podcast for it.  Anyway today with Luke's nagging support, I decided to do the first day. For the first week you repeat the same podcast 3 times with a day's rest in between each session.  I haven't run, for anything, in around 18/19 years.  In fact me and exercise are arch enemies!

So what did 'Laura' the C25K instructor think I was able to do as a couch potato who never does any exercise.  Well she had this bright idea that I could do a brisk 5 minute warm up where I walked for 5 minutes (fast enough to make me out of breath).  Then she thought I could 'run' for 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds, 7 times followed by a final 60 second run and a 5 minute walk to cool down.  And do you know what? I only flaming did it!!!!  Now I know as marathon running or whatever goes, many people would laugh their socks off but I am so damn proud of the fact I actually managed to 'run' for every single one of the intervals.

Luke provided motivation just by being there although he did make me laugh when he started in a different corner to me and said that I had to stay ahead of him.  I pointed out he would have to run a lot slower for that happen.  We went over the caged sports area which is relatively secluded but I was still worrying that someone in one of the houses was watching, or worse still recording it to stick on YouTube!!

So it may have taken me a lot longer than anticipated to get round to it but I have finally started!

3 comments:

Justine said...

Wow...that is seriously impressive. Well done! I was all ready to hate Laura for you but it seems she knows you and what you are capable of! Luke sounds like a great Mr Motivator (remember him?!) So proud of you my friend.

ricketyjo said...

Wow, good grief! That's excellent! I'm not sure I could have managed that even, I hate running :) Hope the rest of it goes ok! Keep going! :)

Poppypatchwork said...

Well done we all have good intentions but you went further